In the beginning Edmond was just a lonely stop in Indian Territory with no trees, streets or buildings. This little stop would become one of the largest, fastest-growing cities in Oklahoma Territory.
In 1893, Edmond began building a three-story school building called The Normal Building. This would become the main focus of Edmond. People would travel from Oklahoma City on a trolley called the “Interurban” to attend school in Edmond.
In 1922, Edmond High School graduated their first class of just 24 students. Since then, the size, location and name would change as the community grew. Edmond High School was located on North Boulevard; this building is now Boulevard Academy.
Notice how the High School is in the shape of an “E”. (see left) This was the original shape of the school until the student body grew so large that the school was forced to add new rooms, thus distorting the “E” Shape.
Edmond High School Becomes
Edmond Memorial High School
In 1975 Edmond High School’s name was changed to Edmond Memorial High School. “Memorial” was added as a tribute to six EHS graduates who died serving their country in the Vietnam War.