Update March 8, 2017
Our long-awaited construction projects (made possible by passage of the 2015 bond issue) are about to begin! We need to make you aware of some very important changes to our parking and drop-off locations / procedures which will take effect on Monday, March 20th when we return from spring break. Please take time to discuss these with your students before we return to help them better plan their arrival and dismissal from our campus. Please view the attached map (click link to see full screen) for points of reference.
1) Student drop-off or pick-up for all grades will ONLY be done at the Freshman Academy on the south side from Scott Street or at the Welcome Center on the north side off 15th street just west of the stop light. We recommend approaching the Freshman Academy entrance from the east on Scott Street to make a right turn into the loop, and only turning right on Scott St. when leaving campus to help the flow of traffic at the back of the building. The Welcome Center loop will be most easily accessed from the west and will exit at the stoplight with assistance from our parking attendants.
2) There will no longer be an area to drop off or turn around near the gym/cafeteria as it will be fenced off for construction. Please do not come through the gates at the stoplight on 15th street unless you are an employee or a student parking in the lot near the football field. The lack of drivers exiting through the gates in the morning will help our drop-off lane at the Welcome Center flow smoothly. Students parking in the west lot will access the building through the senior English hallway.
3) The driveway on the far west end of campus off 15th Street will be for ENTRANCE ONLY in the mornings for students who are parking (NO parent drop off). Due to construction, there will be no entrance to the building near the performing arts hall. Students may enter and park in the west lot near the softball field as usual from either 15th Street or from Edgewood Drive. The Edgewood Gate will be locked 2nd – 6th hours and a parking attendant will be at the west drive for students who must leave campus during the day. Students will enter and exit the building to the west lot via the bus loop doors near the Vocal Music or History hallways.
4) Please note on the attached map that for safety reasons there will be gates blocking the drives which now connect the front and back of our campus on both sides. Students will be able to walk across the drives to reach outer buildings and parking areas, but driving around the building will not be possible.
5) The south end of our east parking lot (near football field) will be designated for faculty parking only (with the exception of the Swine Week and Taste of Memorial purchased parking spots). Students who have parked there previously this year will need to park in the west lot for the remainder of the year.
6) Finally, we would suggest utilizing alternative transportation where possible (carpool with friends, ride the bus, etc.) or selecting a designated meeting spot away from campus traffic where you may drop off or pick up your student and allow them to walk a short distance as weather permits.
We are excited about the long-range improvements that the construction projects (from the 2015) bond issue will yield for our campus, but recognize that change may present challenges for a season. Please join us in embracing our “new normal” when we return from break, and exercise patience as we all adapt!
Memorial 2017 Bond Projects:
Memorial will also be receiving substantial improvements from the passage of the 2017 bond issue passed in February. Plans call for constructing a two-story classroom addition on the north side of the school facing 15th street that will double as a storm shelter and replacing the roof of the auditorium.
In addition, the stadium will upgrades to include new seating, a press box, lighting, restrooms, concessions and parking. The track will be moved across the street to district-owned land just north of 15th street. Ninth-grade football, track and cross country, among other events and activities, willbe held at the new track. The stadium project will not be completed until 2020.